First of all, thanks to aasorer and all those involved in making this firmware available. This release has one HUGE fix for me - HDMI handshaking is now working with my receiver after being turned off with the remote. Until now I've had to switch the box off and on at the back every time I wanted to use it.
However there are some serious drawbacks:
1. The gui is slow. This is known by the developer and they are planning to improve it.
2. Commands are being sent twice on my universal remote. As a result I'm forced to use the stock remote. Others on the ACR forum are reporting this as well.
3. I haven't been able to successfully log into my computer with a passworded account. I'm still wading through the ACR forums - there are some posts keyboard issues that I don't fully understand, I'll keep looking into it. For now I've enabled guest access which is working, but I don't like it for security reasons. [EDIT - got it working, see below]
There are a couple other minor annoyances for me:
4. I have to go through an additional menu screen to get to the network (File Browser->Network), whereas it used to be on the home menu.
5. Weird items show up in my networked computer, called "ADMIN$" "C$" and "D$". I believe this sort of stuff shows up with Patriot firmwares as well, but not with previous ACR or MEDE firmwares.
A user on the ACR forums found a fix for the network login issue:
When I was asked to fill in Username and Password, the player allready placed a "space" before I could enter my Username. So when i filled in "user" it actually placed " user".
This doesnt happen with the password field.
I have also had a couple of freezes in the menus.
As a conclusion, I would not recommend installing this firmware unless (like me) it fixes a major issue for you. However, I'm looking forward to future updates, as well as the other companies' implementations of the new SDK.